Bright Children with vision problems can struggle with reading
Even if your child has 20/20 vision, it doesn’t mean that their eyes are working together correctly. This can lead to difficulties in school that are often overlooked.
from Getting Worse
Nearsightedness (Myopia), often starts at a young age and if not addressed correctly, can lead to stronger and stronger prescriptions and additional eye health complications. Learn about our modern techniques for controlling this condition.
Effective Monday, June 8th - We're open!
As you know, in order to reopen we need to take precautions to ensure everyone’s safety. We would appreciate your help in implementing the following steps:
Do not arrive more than 10 minutes before your appointment time.
Upon arrival at our office, please stay in your car and call our staff to let us know you have arrived.
While in your car, you will be asked the standard COVID screening questions. Then Dr. Vasilakos will take your case history over the phone to reduce the amount of time in the office.
We need to limit the number of people in the office at any one time. We hope you understand that only the patient will be allowed into the office unless a minor, in which case 1 adult will be allowed to accompany them.
Prior to entering the office, we will be taking each patient’s (and accompanying adult) temperature with a non-contact infrared thermometer.
According to the Health Department everyone needs to wear masks while in the office. This includes patients of all ages. Masks will be available for purchase if you forgot yours.
Prior to entering the examination room, hand sanitizer will be required of all patients and any accompanying adult.
Handwashing will be required of patients at the beginning and end of their in-office therapy session. Parents are asked to remain in their car until their child’s therapy session has concluded.
1 Out of 4 Children Suffer from a Vision Problem
Interfering with their ability to learn and achieve in school
The ability to see clearly (20/20) is just one part of being able to read & learn easily.
During the early years of childhood, the brain develops more than 15 visual skills that allow normal functioning, reading & learning. When a child does not have one or more of these skills, he or she will often also have reading and/or attention difficulties.
As a specialist in vision development, Dr. Vasilakos works with children & adults to develop these essential visual skills. Vision problems, such as these, can be mistaken & misdiagnosed as an attention problem or a learning disability because they cause similar symptoms.
If your child is struggling with reading, has a poor understanding of what's read, or is just not doing as well as you might expect, contact us for an evaluation.
No Surgery, No Glasses, No Daytime Contacts - Just Clarity
Dr. Vasilakos specializes in an innovative, non-surgical therapy that eliminates the need for glasses or daytime contact lenses and slows down the progression of nearsightedness. This process is called orthokeratology or ortho-k.
With Ortho-K, specially designed therapeutic contact lenses reshape the eye while you sleep. The contact lenses are removed in the morning for natural clear vision all day long without glasses, daytime contacts or surgery.
Comprehensive Vision Care for the Entire Family
Dr. Laura Vasilakos provides detailed, comprehensive vision examinations for your entire family.
Dr. Laura, as her patients call her, also dedicates herself to services for children including developmental vision evaluations, non-surgical treatment for eye turns (strabismus) and minimal to no patching for lazy eye (amblyopia).
Dr. Laura follows these values when treating her patients:
- Stronger and stronger prescriptions for glasses and contacts should NOT be the standard.
- Every child should have the chance to develop the visual skills critical to reading and academic success.
- There IS a difference between seeing the letters on the eye chart and processing visual information.
- People have the right to understand their diagnosis and treatment plan so they can make an educated decision about their vision care.
Conveniently located, schedule an appointment to see what solutions Dr. Vasilakos has to offer!
- Dr. Vasilakos is an excellent practitioner who put her patient’s individual needs first. She conducts thorough exams and develop vision therapy programs that match each patient’s needs. She treated my son, age 9, with respect, kindness and patien...S.
- My mother has 20-20 vision and my father is legally blind without his contacts in. Unfortunately, I was not blessed with my mother's great vision and inherited my father's declining vision. For years my nearsightedness had been getting worse and wa...Julie
- My daughter was having challenges with reading; eye strain, headaches and the school mentioned a ? Of her eyes crossing when reading. We reached out to Dr. Vasilakos and her initial exam confirmed some of our concerns. We started a 30 week program an...Allison
- As a parent, I was very impressed by Dr. Vasilakos program. She was kind, caring and you could easily tell she really enjoys the work she does. Dr. Vasilakos was also very professional and has an extensive knowledge of how the eyes work and how to ...Melissa
- Excellent and extremely knowledgeable on contact fitting, especially gas. Permeable multi focal lenses. In my case she was quickly able to solve a problem I'd been having for years with another eye doctor....Anonymous
Dr. Vasilakos is a developmental optometrist specializing in Myopia Control, Ortho-K & Vision Therapy. Serving patients from the surrounding areas of Randolph, Stoughton, Marshfield, Canton, Weymouth, Rockland, Sharon, Abington, Hingham, Hanover, Norwell, Cohasset, Pembroke, Plymouth, Quincy, Kingston.