Bright Children with vision problems can struggle with reading
Even if your child has 20/20 vision, it doesn’t mean that their eyes are working together correctly. This can lead to difficulties in school that are often overlooked.
from Getting Worse
Nearsightedness (Myopia), often starts at a young age and if not addressed correctly, can lead to stronger and stronger prescriptions and additional eye health complications. Learn about our modern techniques for controlling this condition.
1 Out of 4 Children Suffer from a Vision Problem
Interfering with their ability to learn and achieve in school
The ability to see clearly (20/20) is just one part of being able to read & learn easily.
During the early years of childhood, the brain develops more than 15 visual skills that allow normal functioning, reading & learning. When a child does not have one or more of these skills, he or she will often also have reading and/or attention difficulties.
As a specialist in vision development, Dr. Vasilakos works with children & adults to develop these essential visual skills. Vision problems, such as these, can be mistaken & misdiagnosed as an attention problem or a learning disability because they cause similar symptoms.
If your child is struggling with reading, has a poor understanding of what's read, or is just not doing as well as you might expect, contact us for an evaluation.
No Surgery, No Glasses, No Daytime Contacts - Just Clarity
Dr. Vasilakos specializes in an innovative, non-surgical therapy that eliminates the need for glasses or daytime contact lenses and slows down the progression of nearsightedness. This process is called orthokeratology or ortho-k.
With Ortho-K, specially designed therapeutic contact lenses reshape the eye while you sleep. The contact lenses are removed in the morning for natural clear vision all day long without glasses, daytime contacts or surgery.
Soft contact lenses that are easy-to-use for age-appropriate children
Corrects nearsightedness and slows the progression of myopia in children (aged 8-12 at the initiation of treatment) by 59% on average, utilizing special ActivControl® Technology.
- 95– 100% of age-appropriate children said they preferred wearing their MiSight 1 day contact lenses over wearing their glasses.
- Children as young as 8 years were able to handle their lenses confidently soon after initial fitting.
Specialized Vision Solutions for the Entire Family
Dr. Laura Vasilakos provides detailed, comprehensive vision examinations for your entire family.
Dr. Laura, as her patients call her, also dedicates herself to services for children including developmental vision evaluations, non-surgical treatment for eye turns (strabismus) and minimal to no patching for lazy eye (amblyopia).
Dr. Laura follows these values when treating her patients:
- Stronger and stronger prescriptions for glasses and contacts should NOT be the standard.
- Every child should have the chance to develop the visual skills critical to reading and academic success.
- There IS a difference between seeing the letters on the eye chart (20/20) and processing visual information.
- People have the right to understand their diagnosis and treatment plan so they can make an educated decision about their vision care.
- Personalized experience with each patient. That's why we are called FAMILY Eyecare Solutions.
Conveniently located, schedule an appointment to see what solutions Dr. Laura has to offer!
Dr. Vasilakos is a developmental optometrist specializing in Myopia Control, Ortho-K & Vision Therapy. Serving patients from the surrounding areas of Randolph, Stoughton, Marshfield, Canton, Weymouth, Rockland, Sharon, Abington, Hingham, Hanover, Norwell, Cohasset, Pembroke, Plymouth, Quincy, Kingston.